Friday, March 23, 2007

B3. BACRONYMS

My grandson and Bacronyms:

My grandson is very inquisitive. He has gone through my list of Bacronyms and deliberately selects words not yet made and questions me. This is based on his queries:
One day he said, a "Historian" is rarely, if at all, present at the scene, so how does he write all that we read in history books? I decided to answer him in my own special way, forming a phrase using only the letters of the word in sequential order. After thinking for some time I finally told him:
Hearsay Information, Sifting Thoroughly, Objectively Records Incidents And Narratives.
Or maybe:
He Imagines Something, Twists Others, Records Idiosyncrasies, Assembles Narratives.
His next query was about "Temptation", the answer I game him was:
The Ever, Mesmeric, Ploy That Attempts To Incite, Outrageous Notions.
His next question was about "Abdomen", the answer was:
Actually Belly, Digestive Organ, Metabolizes, Entire Nourishment.
He now came up with "Gymnastics", it took me quite some time to come up with an answer, but finally I gave one:
Gives Your Muscles Noteworthy Adaptability, Stimulus, Thereby Imparting Co-ordination, Strength.
He then wanted to be enlightened about an "Optimist" and a "Pessimist", well I had to bring out the difference very clearly, here is what he was told:
Outcome Predictable, Task Is Manageable, I'll Surely Triumph; and
Predictably, Even Sees Serious Impediments, Machinations, In Small Things.
His next question took me by surprise, it was about "Siesta', well here was the answer I gave:
Spain Itinerary - Enjoy Sleep Through Afternoon.
As I said earlier he was testing me as he next came up with "Catastrophe" well fortunately I too had a ready reply for him: -
Calamity; Accursed Total Annihilation; Startling Thunderbolt; Result Of, Particularly, Horrendous, Event.
He was ready for some more so I told him no more but on his insistence I said o.k. one more he came up with "Tradition" and the answer I formed was: -
Time-honoured, Religious And Dynastic Instructions, Teachings Implemented, Observed, Nostalgically.
Well quite some time back I was fascinated by Acronyms and had been wondering if it would be too difficult to treat ordinary English Dictionary words as Acronyms? I tried and found it an interesting exercise, and started coining, what I preferred to call - BACRONYMS. Today I have a collection of over 4,000 words!!!!

No comments: